When you discover an area where mold is exposed in your home during cleaning, moving or renovations this can usually be cleaned using simple household items. Here are a few tips for how to remove mold in your home. You can do this in the safest way by following these guidelines for small surface mold removal:
For a serious mold problem it is advisable to get an evaluation from a qualified mold remediation specialist. To find one in your area check your Yellow Pages or on the internet.
Here’s how to remove mold from interior walls and surfaces:
- Have a well ventilated room (windows or doors open, fans blowing)
- Gather necessary materials: rubber gloves, goggles or face shield (for splashes), sponge, scrub brush, bucket, chlorine bleach, water and dry rags or towels
- Put on the goggles or face shield and the rubber gloves and proceed as listed below
- Make removal solution using the standard ratio of 1.10, which means 1 part bleach to 9 parts water – 12 ounces [1 ¼ cups] of liquid bleach per gallon of tepid water.
- Apply solution using the sponge or scrub brush. A more resistant mold may require the brush and a longer scrubbing time
- Allow the solution to work for ten minutes
- Rinse the area with clean, plain water using the sponge. Rinse the sponge frequently.
- Allow the area to air dry naturally
Any other suggestions or tips for easy ways to remove mold from your home?
Please share them.
You can read our required disclaimer here