Here are some of the most common reasons people give for wanting to keep or raise a backyard flock of chickens…
- Easy way to start being a little more self sufficient
- Fresh, delicious and healthier eggs
- You know the quality of your food source (whether eggs or meat)
- Bug and insect control
- Free Fertilizer for your Garden
- Relaxing, enjoyable, entertaining and fun to watch
- Colorful Living Yard Decor – chickens come in a wide variety of feather color-patterns
- Teaches responsibility and good livestock/pet husbandry
- Link back to a simpler life and time
Why do we keep chickens? Mainly because I love raising chickens! They are wonderful pets who give me healthy and delicious eggs that we can use for food. They are easy to care for and relatively inexpensive to raise. They are endearing and entertaining – in fact Avi and I say, “It’s like watching chicken TV!”
We encourage you to write down all of the reasons that you would like to keep chickens. This list will help you to make decisions about how many, which breeds to keep, the type of equipment and accomodations you will prepare and more.
The most important part of raising your own flock of chickens is that you feel like you are meeting the goals that you set out at the beginning.
We have some good resource information that will be available soon:
What are some of the reasons you keep or would like to keep your own flock of back yard chickens? Please share your thoughts, we would love to hear from you.
Links to related podcasts: